Saturday, September 12, 2009
Sailing Alone Around the Room: New and Selected Poems by Billy Collins
I have not read much poetry in the past, so i decided that over the summer i would read a book of poetry. i had figured that Billy Collins was a good place to start. Since he's "America's Poet Laureate". But i think America may be wrong, I'm not saying that he's horrible but maybe just a little overrated. I was expecting more, then only liking 21 poems out of over 100 poems. I also felt that he wrote with a sort of "arrogance" almost, i even remember him in one of the poems basically stating that he is the greatest poet. But my favorite poem was "My Number". Even though i wasn't completely satisfied with this book i would read another one of his collections again. But i wouldn't go as far as claiming him "America's Poet Laureate"; i think America has greater talent.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment